Best Dog Treats To Clean Teeth: Choosing the best dog treats to clean your puppy’s teeth can be more complicated than you imagine. There are many products on the market, but not all of them will work just as well for your puppy as they might work for others.
If we had to choose just one product from the selection below, we would recommend the Pedigree Dentastix. We love that these treats come in a tasty chicken flavor that your dog will love to enjoy daily and have safe ingredients.
Each dog has different needs, and the breed of your pet matters a lot when you want to find the best dog treats for cleaning their teeth.
We put together a complex guide to help you choose the best such treats, and your dog will be more than thankful for it as well!
Table of Contents
- Best Dog Treats To Clean Teeth – Comparison Table
- Do dog dental chews really work?
- How many dental chews should I give my dog?
- How can I get plaque off my dog’s teeth?
- What do vets use to clean dogs’ teeth?
- Do vets recommend Dentastix?
- Will coconut oil remove tartar from the dog’s teeth?
- What to look for?
- Best dog treats to clean teeth
- 1. Pedigree DENTASTIX Adult & Puppy Toy/Small Treats
- 2. Whimzees Brushzees Small Natural Dog Dental Treat
- 3. Greenies Weight Management Dental Dog Treats
- 4. Milk-Bone Fresh Breath Brushing Chews Daily Dental Dog Treats
- 5. Nylabone Nutri Dent Natural Dental Filet Mignon Flavored Chew Treats
- 6. Whimzees Brushzees Extra Small Natural Dog Dental Treat
Best Dog Treats To Clean Teeth – Comparison Table
Do dog dental chews really work?
Dog dental treats have two benefits for your dog; one is more evident than the other. The obvious benefit of these treats is that they will help train your dog and reward them just like any other treat.
- Dental treats are delicious, and they come in plenty of flavors that your puppy will love. So, you can use them as you would use any other dog treat, and you will not be disappointed at all.
- On the other hand, the effect of these treats on your dog’s teeth might not be as noticeable. But prolonged use of the proper dental treats for your dog will help reduce plague as well as the buildup of tartar.
- These treats are made to scrap the dog’s teeth as they chew them, and another secondary benefit you will notice will be better dog breath.
- Brushing your dog’s teeth can be challenging and, in some cases, even impossible as not all dogs are thrilled to have such human-like oral hygiene.
- However, veterinarians highlight that you should try your best to brush your dog’s teeth at home. If that is not a possibility, take them to the vet for proper teeth cleaning. Dental chews will not replace proper oral hygiene for your dog.
How many dental chews should I give my dog?
Even if dental chews bring their benefits for both you and your dog, it is important not to spoil your furry friend too much with these treats. Each brand of dental chews for dogs will come with instructions to use, and you should check those out before giving such treats to your puppy.
The general rule says you should give your dog one dental chew a day. But you will find brands that recommend giving them two a day. The number of chews they get per day will depend on the size and the ingredients in the treats.
How can I get plaque off my dog’s teeth?
Dental plague is just as dangerous and unhealthy for the teeth as it is in the case of humans. So here are some essential points to apply if you want to reduce dental plaque in your dog’s teeth!
A) Pay attention to their oral hygiene
Your dog’s oral hygiene is crucial for the health of their teeth. You will have to try and brush your dog’s teeth regularly to eliminate both plaque and tartar.
- You will have to use a toothbrush made especially for dogs and brushing teeth in a daily routine.
- Not all dogs will welcome this routine, so if your dog doesn’t allow you to brush their teeth, you might want to talk to their vet and find a proper solution to clean their teeth.
- If you transform tooth brushing into a treat rather than a chore, your dog will be more receptive to it.
- So, choose a toothpaste they like and be patient until they get used to the process.
B) Use dental chews
Dental chews don’t replace the tooth brushing routine, but they can complete it successfully.
- A dental treat that is compatible with your dog’s needs can help reduce tartar and plague as well, and they will be very much pleasant for your dog to get every day.
- These treats will also improve your dog’s breath which is a significant side benefit.
C) Take your dog to the veterinarian for a closer checkup
Just as we go to the dentist twice a year, your dog should get their teeth checked twice a year as well.
- Take your dog to the veterinarian for an oral checking every six months to ensure that they have healthy teeth and gums.
- Your vet will also recommend the best dental hygiene products to take care of your pouch’s teeth every day.
D) Give them a healthy and balanced diet
The diet of your dog is also one of the key elements to healthy oral hygiene.
- If your dog eats high-quality food, it will be healthier and have better teeth and breath.
- Also, veterinarians support the idea that dry food tends to help dogs have healthier teeth than other types of food such as canned.
What do vets use to clean dogs’ teeth?
When you take your dog to the vet for a dental cleaning, you will notice that the methods veterinarians use are more efficient than those you can use at home. This is why having your dog seen by a specialist is essential for their general health as well as oral health.
A) Your dog might get lab analysis before the cleaning
Before your vet starts the dental cleaning, they will make sure to check the health state of your puppy.
- Blood analysis might be necessary to identify and diagnose any potential health conditions they might have. This is why you should plan the dental cleaning ahead of time because it might not be a one-time visit.
- Once the lab results come, your vet will decide what the appropriate procedure for your dog is.
B) They will be given a form of anesthesia
Dogs don’t usually stay still and allow veterinarians who are strangers to them to check their teeth.
- Therefore, for both your dog’s safety and the veterinarian’s safety, your puppy might be put under anesthesia.
- Some veterinarians use the spray; others use an injection depending on the policy of the clinic and the needs of your dog.
- Your dog will be either very numb or asleep once the anesthesia takes effect.
C) Dental cleaning procedure differs from one clinic to another
Some vets might decide your dog needs X-Rays as part of the dental care treatment. This step will give the doctor the chance to check the overall health of your dog’s teeth beyond what is visible with the naked eye.
- There will be a technician that cleans your dog’s mouth and inspects it closely to identify potential dental problems.
- Furthermore, with the use of an ultrasonic scaler, they will remove the plaque and tartar from the teeth.
- Another periodontal scaler will be used by the doctor or technician to clean your dog’s teeth on the entire surface and remove bacteria.
- At the end of the procedure, the doctor will polish your dog’s teeth and rinse them carefully.
D) Anesthesia recovery
Once the dental cleaning procedure is over, the medical team will monitor your dog until they fully recover from their anesthesia.
- The entire process shouldn’t take more than a couple of hours. If your dog reacts well to all the treatments, you can take them home the same day.
- You will also receive a list of unique care practices and products you will have to follow if your dog needs any long-term dental treatment.
Do vets recommend Dentastix?
Veterinarians support Dentastix as some of the best dental treats for dogs of all kinds.
- These treats come in different versions, so you can use just the one that your dog likes more as well as the one that suits their breed and condition best.
- You can find Pedigree Dentastix and Pedigree Dentastix fresh. Still, both versions come in different sizes to accommodate dogs of different ages.
- If you are not sure which type of Dentastix to choose for your puppy, ask your vet and follow the instructions.
Will coconut oil remove tartar from the dog’s teeth?
We know that coconut oil can have incredible benefits for our oral hygiene, but does it work the same for your dog? Turns out coconut oil can significantly improve your dog’s oral hygiene.
- Coconut oil can replace dog toothpaste, an excellent alternative for puppies who don’t like such products. To create a substitute for dog toothpaste, though, you also need baking soda.
- Combine one part of coconut oil with baking soda and mix until you obtain a homogeneous paste. You can use this paste to brush your dog’s teeth daily.
- Used regularly, coconut oil will reduce the tartar in your dog’s teeth thanks to its antibacterial benefits.
- In addition, baking soda increases the scrubbing effect of homemade toothpaste. You will also reduce the plaque on your dog’s teeth by combining these two ingredients.
What to look for?
If you never purchased dental chews for your dog, you might wonder what you should look for in such treats. We put together a list of the most important aspects to take into account.
A) List of ingredients
You want dental treats that are low caloric and rich in healthy ingredients.
- Since you will be giving your puppy these treats daily, you want to avoid any type of long-term side effects.
- The best dental treats come with natural ingredients, no gluten, and no artificial flavorings.
- You can also find them in a beef, chicken, or vegetable flavor, so you can choose the ones that are best for your dog.
B) Dog breeds
There are different dental treats for different dog breeds as well as for different dog sizes.
- It is essential to choose the treats that will accommodate your dog’s needs, so pay attention to this aspect before purchasing.
- Some owners buy treats for small breeds, and they give two a day instead of one to their large dogs.
- This is not a method recommended by veterinarians, so your dog should get the treat that has the nutrients they need.
C) Special conditions
It is equally important to be aware of your dog’s health conditions.
- Have your vet check them up and see if they suffer from any problem that needs to be addressed before you start giving them a daily dental treat.
- Your veterinarian might also recommend you purchase a specific type of treats according to your puppy needs.
Once you find a brand of dental treats that works for your dog, you will have to sustain that for the long run.
- This is why you should be comfortable with the price these treats come at and find the best discounts.
- Most brands offer better prices for more extensive packages. So, once you know that your puppy loves a specific type of treats, you can purchase them in a bigger size and save some money along the way.
Best dog treats to clean teeth
The following dental treats are supported by veterinarians from all over the world. As a result, your dog will have better dental hygiene, and they will avoid other health conditions as well.
1. Pedigree DENTASTIX Adult & Puppy Toy/Small Treats
We want to introduce the first dog treats to you: Pedigree Dentastix, for both adult dogs and puppies. It follows all the criteria that you should look for in such a product as well.
- These treats come in sticks forms, so your dog will be able to gobble them. Their X-like shape will increase their efficiency in cleaning your pup’s teeth as they chew on them. It’s also easier for you to administrate them to your puppy as you can break them into smaller pieces if needed. Their texture is soft enough to do that without effort.
- You can find these treats in different package sizes and a version for adult dogs and puppies. It is essential to purchasing the version that suits your dog best, so they enjoy all the benefits. If it is the first time you try these treats for your puppy, you might want to get them in a smaller package. Once you know they like them and have no side effects, you can invest in a more convenient package.
- Dentastix treats will significantly reduce plaque and tartar on your dog’s teeth and improve their breath at the same time. These treats are not known to be dangerous or harmful for any dog, so it is just a matter of your pet’s preference. You can give them the treats daily for a long time with no expected side effects.
- These particular sticks are made for dogs with a weight between 5 lbs and 20 lbs. But you can find a version of the same brand for bigger breeds. It is essential to get the proper treats according to your pet’s weight so you can be sure they benefit from enough nutrients and vitamins.
- To enjoy all the benefits of these treats, you should give your dog one treat a day as a snack. Some puppies tend to like these treats so much that they want to keep snacking, but you should never give them more than recommended because they are not made to replace a meal. Plus, you will not add to the benefits they bring to your dog if you increase the quantity.
- Your puppy will love the chicken flavor of these treats, and most likely, they will become one of the pleasures of the day for them. But one of the biggest benefits is that this flavor comes from real chicken. So, you don’t have to worry about feeding your puppy unnecessary chemicals or toxic ingredients.
- Come in different sizes, which makes it easier for you to choose the size you are most comfortable with for your puppy.
- Suitable for puppies and adults as long as you follow the weight limit recommendations on the package.
- Remove plaque and tartar, which helps to maintain healthy oral hygiene for all dogs.
- Improve puppy breath as long as you give them these treats daily, as consistency is definitely the key.
- The tasty chicken flavor which most dogs love and prefer, especially as puppies.
- These treats don’t come in different shapes.
- Have a more pungent smell than other treats, which might bother some dog owners.
2. Whimzees Brushzees Small Natural Dog Dental Treat
Whimzees also offers high-quality dental sticks that your dog will love to enjoy daily. They are tasty, have safe ingredients, and don’t have to worry about any special conditions you give to your puppy.
- These treats are ideal for all dog breeds. However, they are recommended for adult dogs, unlike the Pedigree Dentastix, which works for all puppies and adult dogs.
- To help your dog have healthy oral hygiene, you should give your dog one of these treats a day and try not to overfeed them because small breeds can get overweight relatively fast.
- Whimzees treats help reduce tartar and plague as well as remove bacteria and bad breath. But besides these benefits, these treats are also delicious, which makes them great as rewards. Your puppy will love them as a reward after every good deed they make.
- This particular version of Whimzees is ideal for dogs with a weight between 15 lbs to 25 lbs. However, if you look at this manufacturer, you will find versions of these treats that are recommended for larger dogs. Respecting the weight recommendation is essential, so don’t oversee this aspect.
- These treats are vegetarian as well. They don’t contain gluten or meat, and all ingredients are non-GMO. Thanks to this, your dog will not suffer from any allergies to these treats. If your puppy already has an intolerance to meat, you will find these treats to be ideal for them!
- You can rely on these treats as veterinarians recommend them for their incredible qualities. They have labels that indicate they are safe and contain all the nutrients and ingredients healthy for your dog. Thanks to the vet label, you can also be sure that these treats are safe for all dogs as long as you respect the recommended daily quantity.
- Reduce tartar, plague, lousy breath so your puppy will have better oral hygiene and overall health by eating these treats daily.
- Natural ingredients which assure you that you don’t have to worry about allergies or side effects.
- No gluten or meat, so these treats are ideal for puppies who are on a diet or have a meat intolerance.
- For adult dogs of all kinds as well as you respect the weight limit.
- Recommended by veterinarians, so you don’t have to worry about any issues or health problems due to these treats.
- Not recommended for puppies, but you can find puppy treats in our list, such as the Pedigree Dentastix.
- Some dogs might not like the lack of meat flavor case in which you will have to choose a different dental treat.
3. Greenies Weight Management Dental Dog Treats
Greenies are some of the best treats you can give your dog to make sure they have excellent dental hygiene. They respect all the recommendations in terms of health and safety, and they have all the ingredients you might be looking for in such a product.
- You can find these treats in versions for different dog sizes. For example, they are available for puppies with a weight between 5 lbs and 15 lbs, for dogs between 15 lbs and 25 lbs, and even larger dogs with weights from 50 lbs to 100 lbs. Thanks to this wide variety, you can find these treats precisely in the version you need. In addition, if you have different breeds of puppies, you can get different treats from the same manufacturer.
- These treats will work best for medium-sized breeds, but ultimately every dog will love trying them out. However, if you have a larger dog breed, make sure you give them the type of treats recommended for their weight. Simply increasing the number of treats per day because your puppy is of a larger breed is not a good idea.
- There are natural ingredients and vitamins, and minerals that will contribute to your dog’s health in each treat. Thanks to the clean ingredients, you will not have to worry about any side effects as you give these treats to your puppy. On the other hand, you don’t have to be concerned about any types of allergic reactions either.
- These treats will also boost your dog’s metabolism, and they are low-caloric treats as well, so you don’t have to worry about their weight gain. If your puppy has a weight problem or tends to develop such a problem, these Greenies are the best for them.
- They reduce plaque and tartar and support healthy oral hygiene for your dog. It is enough to give them the recommended amount per day, and you should notice an improvement in your dog’s oral hygiene after the first week.
- Natural ingredients and vitamins to help your dog have not only healthy oral hygiene but also a healthy diet.
- Different versions for different dog sizes so you can find just what your dog needs according to their weight.
- Boost metabolism is one of the functions that help your dog burn calories and maintain an overall healthy weight.
- Low caloric so you don’t have to worry about adding too many calories to your dog’s daily needs.
- Support healthy dental hygiene in the long term if you stick to the daily amount recommended of these snacks.
- They don’t come in different flavors, so you can’t choose, but most dogs tend to love the original taste.
- It might have a more pungent smell than other treats, which could be bothersome.
4. Milk-Bone Fresh Breath Brushing Chews Daily Dental Dog Treats
The Milk-Bone daily dental chews will be your dog’s favorite treats for a long time and help them have excellent oral health. Unlike the Greenies, these contain an extra amount of Calcium to help your dog develop harmoniously. Plus, they have all the safety recommendations you might look for in such a treat.
- You can find these treats in mini, small and large sizes. Thanks to this variety, the Milk-Bone treats are suitable for all dog breeds and sizes. You can keep this treat brand since your dog is a puppy and way into their adult age with no concerns for their health.
- One of these treats a day can sustain your dog’s oral health and eliminate plaque and tartar if you stick to them. However, it is essential to use these treats, in the long run, to see the results you want because they will be visible after the first couple of weeks.
- Also, these treats will support the gum’s health and improve your dog’s breath significantly. No more stinky puppy breath when you are cuddling with your furry friend, and no more worries regarding their oral hygiene.
- These treats are enriched with Calcium, and they don’t contain any artificial flavorings so that you can give them to your puppy with no concern regarding allergies or any side effects. However, watch your dog for a few days after administrating these treats to ensure they have no intolerance.
- The small size treats are perfect for dogs with weights between 25 lbs and 49 lbs. Each treat has 63 calories, so it is ideal for offering your dog some energy as well. The best time to give your dog one of these treats is in between meals as you play with them. By doing so, you help them burn the energy as well.
- Available for different dog sizes, which helps you give your pet the same brand of treats for the long run if they enjoy them.
- Contain Calcium, so they are an excellent choice for dogs with calcium deficiency or that need help with bone health and teeth strength.
- No artificial flavorings, so there is no need to worry about allergies or side effects that could affect your dog’s health after you add these treats to their diet.
- Reduce tartar, plaque, and bacteria, and they are very efficient in doing that as long as you are consistent in administrating these treats to your dog.
- Improve gum’s health and dog’s breath from the first days of using them, and this will motivate you to keep giving them these treats as well.
- The flavor is not as rich, so not all dogs might be attracted to eat them at first.
- Don’t come in different package sizes, so if your puppy loves these treats, you might have to purchase them often.
5. Nylabone Nutri Dent Natural Dental Filet Mignon Flavored Chew Treats
These dental treats from Nylabone are not just tasty but very efficient in keeping your dog’s teeth healthy. They have all the recommended ingredients such treats should have, and they will be an absolute pleasure for your puppy to enjoy once a day.
- You can find these treats in various sizes and for various dog breeds as well. The package comes in 10-count, 28-count, 64-count, up to 168-count. You can also get them for dogs with weights of up to 10 lbs, 15 lbs, 30 lbs, and 50 lbs.
- Unlike the Greenies or the Milk-Bone ones, these treats come in a delicious beef flavor that your puppy will love every time you give them a dental treat. Unfortunately, you can’t find them in other flavors, so if your dog doesn’t like beef, they might not enjoy these treats much.
- There are no artificial flavorings in these treats, as well as no extra salt or chemicals. If your dog has a sensitive digestive system, you will not have to worry about these threats as they are very healthy for them and highly safe.
- The texture and ingredients of each treat help your dog have clean teeth and less to no tartar or plague. Besides these benefits that you will find in most dental snacks, these products are rich in vitamins, minerals, and safe ingredients that your puppy will definitely benefit from.
- In terms of digestion, these treats are highly digestible, so your dog will have no problems even if they enjoy one of these treats daily for the long term. Thanks to this aspect, they are the kind of treats your vet will recommend if your puppy has any digestive issues.
- Easy to digest, which makes these snacks perfect for sensitive puppies.
- No artificial flavorings, so you don’t have to worry about any side effects or digestive issues.
- No added salt or preservatives and healthy to eat during any time of the day since they will not make your puppy thirsty.
- The beef flavor is ideal for most dogs as it is a rich and tasty flavor they will look forward to enjoying.
- Different package sizes
- Not recommended for puppies, but you can find a version of these snacks designated for young dogs as well.
- Only one flavor is available, which could be a challenge for picky pups.
6. Whimzees Brushzees Extra Small Natural Dog Dental Treat
Last but not least dental treats you can count on coming from Whimzees, and your puppy will love them. They have all the good aspects you should look for in healthy dental snacks, and they are some of the tastiest on the market.
- These treats are recommended for small breeds, and they contain everything they need for healthy oral hygiene. They have safe and nutritious ingredients that will support your dog’s diet and overall health, not just their oral hygiene.
- They are dental treats for adult dogs, and you can find them in packs of 28 and 48 pieces. If your dog tries these treats for the first time, a small pack would be a wise choice. But once you are sure they love the treats, you can purchase a bigger pack at a better deal as well.
- These treats don’t just help to keep your dog’s teeth clean, but they also keep their breath fresh and overall good mouth health. You want to stick to them for a long time and change them once your puppy becomes an adult dog. You will definitely see the benefits of these treats as your puppy grows older and has strong and healthy teeth.
- You should give one of these treats to dogs with a weight from 5 lbs to 15 lbs in terms of dog size. As your puppy grows older, there is no need to increase the number of treats per day, but you should actually switch to an adult treat version. However, if your dog is a small breed and the weight limit remains even as they become adults, you can keep these treats if they like them.
- These are vegetarian treats, so they don’t contain any meat. They also don’t have gluten or artificial flavorings. So if your dog has any sensitivity, these treats are just what they need to have a healthy diet and healthy oral hygiene at the same time. Still, it would help if you kept an eye on them for the first few days after introducing these snacks into their diet to make sure that they have no adverse reactions.
- Natural ingredients to reduce risk of allergic reaction or other side effects.
- Perfect for small breeds as they contain all the nutrients and vitamins small dogs need to thrive.
- No gluten which leaves more room for natural nutrients from plants as well as more protein.
- No artificial flavorings, so there is no need to worry about any digestive issues or health problems.
- Two pack sizes to allow you to purchase the one that is most convenient for you.
- No different flavors are available, but the original flavor is quite tasty for most dogs.
- Not recommended for larger breeds as they are too small and they will not be as efficient.
The Pedigree Dentastix is one of the best brands on the market in terms of dental chews, and your dog will fall in love with these.
- The stick shape of these chews makes them very easy to eat for your dog, and the X shape increased the efficiency in cleaning their teeth. After all, your main goal by giving your dog dental treats is to help them have healthy oral hygiene, and you need treats that will keep their teeth clean every day.
- These treats have a delicious chicken flavor, so your dog will feel spoiled every time they have one of them. Unlike the rest of the treats in this guide, which come with no particular flavor or beef flavor, the chicken taste is appreciated by most dogs regardless of their size. You can't go wrong with this taste, and the flavor comes from real chicken, which is definitely a great advantage.
- We also like the fact that you can find these treats in packs of different sizes, allowing you to get the one that is best for your dog. You can, therefore, start with a small pack and see how your dog likes these treats until you invest in a bigger pack to last you a long time.
- The same dental treats come in a beef version as well as a chicken and bacon version. So, if your dog gets bored of the exact taste, you can always change it. You will notice that very few dog treats come in this selection of flavors, so you can really keep your dog to the taste they prefer without changing the brand of the treats.
Taking care of your dog’s dental hygiene and overall oral health should prioritize you. Poor oral health could lead to significant problems that would be avoided otherwise.
Brush their teeth regularly and take them to the vet every time you find it necessary. The dental chews come to complete good oral hygiene, but they don’t replace the other aspects.