Best Calming Aid For Dogs With Separation Anxiety: If your dog hates being left alone, they are likely suffering from separation anxiety. Like humans, dogs can also develop separation anxiety after dramatic life changes or experiencing loss.
Our top pick for the best calming aid for dogs with separation anxiety is the Adaptil Dog Calming Diffuser. The Adaptil Dog Calming Diffuser is specially formulated to help dogs with separation anxiety curb stress-related behaviors and adjust to challenging situations. It can help your pup reduce the fear of loud noises (fireworks/thunderstorms), adapt to new surroundings, and increase focus during training sessions.
Table of Contents
- What Makes a Dog Anxious?
- How to Calm an Anxious Dog?
- What are Different Calming Aids for Dogs Available?
- Dog Calming Treats Side Effects
- What to Look for?
- Best Calming Aid for Dogs with Separation Anxiety
- 1. AKC Anti-Anxiety and Stress Relief Calming Coat
- 2. SmartPetLove Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Toy
- 3. Morapaky Puppy Toy with Heartbeat
- 4. Zesty Paws Senior Advanced Glucosamine
- 5. ARR Super Cushy Pet Cuddler
- 6. Vet’s Best Comfort Calm Calming Soft Chews
- 7. Adaptil Dog Calming Diffuser
- 8. Hemp Well Calm Dog Soft Chews
- 9. PET Supplements Pet Relaxant
- 10. Rescue Remedy Natural Homeopathic Stress Relief Drops
- Key References
A pup home alone with separation anxiety may chew, bark, defecate, urinate, or try to escape. To prevent these behavioral problems, knowing how to calm an anxious dog is essential.
What Makes a Dog Anxious?
Some common separation anxiety triggers in dogs are:
- Loud noises from car horns, fireworks, thunderstorms, etc.
- Unfamiliar environments that are new to the dog, such as the veterinarian’s office or a new home.
- Car trips
- New pets or people in the house.
- New visual stimuli, such as a dog owner shaving their beard or wearing a hat.
Dogs can also have age-related anxiety. You may find that your dog’s anxiety worsens as they age. Some experts compare it to Alzheimer’s disease in humans. When your dog’s cognition and memory decrease, their fear increases.
How to Calm an Anxious Dog?
Here are the some of the techniques on how to calm your anxious dog;
1) Teach your Puppy to be Alone
While you’re home, take some time out of your day for your puppy to be alone and away from you in a crate or a designated puppy-proof area. This will help your pup establish a safe and comfortable place to retreat to when you aren’t there.
2) Desensitize your Puppy to Triggers
Your dog probably starts getting anxious when they notice you getting ready to leave. Start by doing things you usually do, like picking up your keys or getting your bag. Each time you do this, give your puppy a treat or their favorite toys. Repeat these actions several times but don’t leave. By doing these cues repeatedly, your puppy will start to recognize that you leaving isn’t such a bad thing after all.
3) Exercise your Puppy
A well-exercised puppy is a better-behaved puppy. Try doing a calming activity like playing indoors or walking around your home. If he’s tired, chances are he’ll spend more time relaxing and less time redecorating your house.
What are Different Calming Aids for Dogs Available?
Here are different calming aids for dogs with anxiety:
1) Calming Chews
Some dogs are not keen on wearing collars or shirts to calm themselves down. Therefore, regardless of your dog’s temperament or breed, calming chews can help relieve anxiety. It not only supports relaxation but also helps them to show balanced behaviors.
Is your dog afraid of fireworks or storms? If so, this separation anxiety aid gives them a safe space to return to at any time. The best thing about ZenCrate is that not only does it work as a wooden box, but it also has some conveniences to keep your dog calm.
3) Dog TV
Keeping your dog entertained can help alleviate their nervousness. Dogs tend to show positive reactions when given the appropriate type of audiovisual stimuli. With Dog TV, your furry friend has the full experience of programs specially developed for them.
4) Pet Acoustics
Dogs can experience separation anxiety outside the home too. If you want to comfort your dog on long road trips, you will need something portable. Pet acoustics is an excellent option as it is a portable speaker that comes with modified frequency music.
5) Snuggle Puppy
To help your pup deal with separation anxiety more easily, Snuggle Puppy is a great option. This product mimics the familiar feeling of privacy. These snuggle puppies are warm to the touch and have a virtually realistic heartbeat. Your pup can cuddle up with them when he feels scared or lonely, making them comfortable with their “real” packmate.
6) Canine Calm Spray
Canine Calm Spray is an essential oil product for dogs that can meet your pet’s needs due to its wide variety. The spray contains lavender, which makes your dog feel peaceful and relaxed. It is available as a spray, oil diffuser, wipes, and roll-on.
Dog Calming Treats Side Effects
As with any medication your dog may take, anti-anxiety medications, also known as antidepressants or anxiolytics, aren’t without risk.
- The side effects differ depending on the type of drug, length of treatment, dosage, and the pup’s sensitivity to the medication.
- Side effects can include restlessness, increased anxiety, unwanted sedation, loss of appetite, and decreased seizure threshold.
- Generally, anti-anxiety medications are well tolerated by dogs and can offer much-needed support and relief in some situations.
What to Look for?
Look for calming treats that have natural ingredients and those scientifically proven to help relieve anxiety. Ingredients like L-tryptophan, chamomile, and valerian are solid ingredients.
Some anxiety medications for dogs come in capsule form, others in chewable form. In contrast, others are liquids that can be administered directly or mixed with your dog’s food.
Depending on the product you choose, there are options for the number of capsules or chews included or the amount of liquid administered. If you have a larger dog and the calming aid is dosed by weight, you’ll want a larger bottle than an owner with a small dog.
Best Calming Aid for Dogs with Separation Anxiety
Here are the top 10 best calming aids for dogs with separation anxiety on the market today:
1. AKC Anti-Anxiety and Stress Relief Calming Coat
The AKC Anti-Anxiety and Stress Relief Calming Coat is a drug-free alternative treatment that works to offer temporary relief from separation anxiety.
- It is designed to apply constant pressure on your dog’s torso, just like swaddling a parent swaddling a newborn baby.
- Gently wrapping your pup in this calming coat has a relaxing effect that is beneficial for most dogs.
- The durable fabric resists collecting hair, making it convenient for your dog.
- The AKC Anti-Anxiety and Stress Relief Calming Coat can be worn in any situation and offers comfort to your pet.
- It is machine washable, making it easy to maintain.
2. SmartPetLove Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Toy
The SmartPetLove Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Toy is designed to offer comfort and ease anxiety in your furry friend.
- It recreates maternal intimacy with a ‘real-feel’ heartbeat and physical warmth.
- The included disposable heat pack can last up to 24 hours and is safe and non-toxic for pets and people.
- The on and off button on the heartbeat allows for use only when you need it.
- Whether it is a new transition, crate training, fireworks, or a thunderstorm, the SmartPetLove Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Toy will be there to help.
- It is machine washable, making it easy to clean.
3. Morapaky Puppy Toy with Heartbeat
The Morapaky Puppy Toy with Heartbeat stimulates a true pulsing heartbeat that allows your pup to feel a human being’s heartbeat, reducing their anxiety.
- The calming aid for dogs with separation anxiety comes with a real heartbeat simulator and a plush dog toy.
- It also comes with an on and off button that allows for use when necessary.
- The invisible zipper design makes this snuggle puppy safe for your four-legged friends.
- The Morapaky Puppy Toy with Heartbeat is crafted from skin-friendly and comfortable fabric that is machine washable.
- It offers dog owners a drug-free and restraint-free way to comfort their dogs.
4. Zesty Paws Senior Advanced Glucosamine
If your pup is suffering from age-related separation anxiety, then the Zesty Paws Senior Advanced Glucosamine is a perfect choice.
- Formulated with a blend of beneficial ingredients in every chew, this calming treat promotes comfort, range of motion, mobility, and flexibility for aging dogs.
- This zesty paws calming bites for dogs contain New Zealand green-lipped mussel, chondroitin sulfate, and glucosamine HCL.
- Together, these powerful ingredients can help lubricate and cushion the joints and hips of your dog.
- Additionally, it contains hemp extract, vitamin C, vitamin E, and hyaluronic acid to offer extra support that can help your dog feel mobile, comfortable, and overcome anxiety.
5. ARR Super Cushy Pet Cuddler
The ARR Super Cushy Pet Cuddler is made with Nanofabrication that offers the best cooling effects.
- The cuddler is double-sided for warm and cold weather to keep your dog warm on wintry days and cool on hot days.
- It is super comfy, soft, and cushy yet breathable.
- The ARR Super Cushy Pet Cuddler is an excellent separation anxiety reliever since it comes with a pouch that you can store a clothing item with your scent.
- Your dog can cuddle it up when you are not there for a comfortable and relaxing feel.
- It is easy to use wherever and whenever.
6. Vet’s Best Comfort Calm Calming Soft Chews
The Vet’s Best Comfort Calm Calming Soft Chews promote a sense of mental alertness and relaxation without drowsiness.
- The blend of plant-based ingredients is a great tasting, extra moist calming chews made for optimum absorption.
- Each chew contains a blend of ginger root, chamomile, valerian root, natural thiamine, and tryptophan for motion sickness prevention and balanced behavior.
- The calming chews give you the simplicity and ease of a once a day supplement or are taken as needed.
- The Vet’s Best Comfort Calm Calming Soft Chews offers prebiotics and antioxidants to minimize the effects of environmental stress while supporting healthy digestive health and immune system.
7. Adaptil Dog Calming Diffuser
The Adaptil Dog Calming Diffuser is specially formulated to help dogs with separation anxiety curb stress-related behaviors and adjust to challenging situations.
- It can help your pup reduce the fear of loud noises (fireworks/thunderstorms), adapt to new surroundings, and increase focus during training sessions.
- This calming aid is drug-free and imitates a mother dog’s nursing pheromones, helping your dog feel calm and safe.
- These odorless messages are perceived by dogs only and offer a strong signal of comfort and security.
- By making your furry friend less stressed and more relaxed, it helps to reduce separation anxiety.
- The Adaptil Dog Calming Diffuser is suitable for dogs of all ages.
8. Hemp Well Calm Dog Soft Chews
The Hemp Well Calm Dog Soft Chews are a natural supplement that can ease stress and reduce anxiety symptoms during fireworks, thunderstorms, and other unfamiliar situations.
- Your dog will enjoy the melatonin, chamomile, and the perfect blend of omega-3 and 6 fatty acids in an easy to administer oil dropper or soft chew.
- The Hemp Well Calm Dog Soft Chews will help keep your pup at ease, relaxed, and calm in stressful situations.
- This calming aid is safe for dogs of all sizes and breeds with proper dosage.
9. PET Supplements Pet Relaxant
If your furry friend is terrified during fireworks or thunderstorms, the PET Supplements Pet Relaxant can offer relief.
- It is a blend of different herbal supplements that can benefit your pup with mild sedative qualities.
- This product can also relieve itchiness, ease a troubled tummy, calm the nerves, or even relieve skin problems.
- One of the herbs in this supplement, valerian, is used to calm anxiety in most dogs.
- Chamomile is another ingredient in the supplement; it has anti-microbial properties to support the skin and reduce swelling.
- The PET Supplements Pet Relaxant is an excellent calming aid to ease anxiety, stress, and insomnia in dogs.
10. Rescue Remedy Natural Homeopathic Stress Relief Drops
The Rescue Remedy Natural Homeopathic Stress Relief Drops is a safe and non-drowsy remedy that can reduce occasional dog tension and stress without sedatives.
- It contains a combination of five flower essences – cherry plum for composure, impatiens for patience, clematis for focus, rock rose for fearlessness, and star of Bethlehem for comfort.
- The dosage of this remedy doesn’t depend on your pup’s weight – it depends on their stressful situation.
- The Rescue Remedy Natural Homeopathic Stress Relief Drops is an alcohol-free formula, making it suitable for dogs of all sizes and breeds.
Our top recommendation for the best calming aid for dogs with separation anxiety is the Adaptil Dog Calming Diffuser. This specially formulated diffuser helps dogs with separation anxiety curb stress-related behaviors and adjust to challenging situations. It also helps your pup reduce the fear of loud noises (fireworks/thunderstorms), adapt to new surroundings, and increase focus during training sessions.
Your dogs also have complex emotional needs. Your furry friend loves you as much as you do, which means they will feel lonely when you are not around.
They also deserve the best, which is why you need to give them the best dog calming aids for dogs with separation anxiety.
- “Separation Anxiety | ASPCA”. Accessed November 03, 2020. Link.
- “Dog Anxiety: What dog Owners Need to Know”. Accessed November 03, 2020. Link.