If you are looking for the best dog harness for runners, you came to the right place! We put together a complex guide to help you find just the type of harness your dog needs. There is no better feeling than to take a run with your furry best friend. Dogs love this type of outdoor activity and maintain good general health if they stay active regularly.
Choosing the correct harness for your dog might be challenging, but the Chai's Choice one will not disappoint you. The main quality about this harness is that it comes with generous padding and secure buckles, so your dog will not be able to escape.
But if you want to run with your puppy, they need to wear a resistant and comfortable gear. A wrong harness could ruin the entire experience. So, keep on reading to see what is the best option for them!
Table of Contents
- Best Dog Harness For Runners – Comparison Table
- At what age can I start running with my dog?
- How do you know if the harness is too tight?
- How do I stop my dog from escaping the harness?
- What Makes a Great Dog Running Harness?
- How many miles can a dog run with you?
- Can I run with my dog every day?
- Is it safe to leave the harness on the dog all the time?
- Is a harness better than a collar?
- Are front clip harnesses bad for dogs?
- At what age can you put a harness on a puppy?
- What to look for?
- Best Dog Harness for Runners
- 1. Chai’s Choice Best Double H Trail Runner No-Pull Dog Harness Review
- 2. DOCO Athletica Runner Mesh Dog Harness Review
- 3. Pet Dreamland Hands-Free Leash Review
- 4. Paw Lifestyles Retractable Hands-Free Dog Leash Review
- 5. Walky Dog Plus Hands-Free Review
- 6. SlowTon No Pull Small Dog Harness and Leash Review
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Key References
Best Dog Harness For Runners – Comparison Table
At what age can I start running with my dog?
If you can’t wait to start jogging with your puppy, you have to know that dogs can’t run at all ages. If your puppy is too young, it will not be able to keep up. If they are too old, they might experience various pains during the run.
- The best time to start running with your puppy is when they are at least 6 months old. If you start earlier, it might affect the growth of their joints and muscles negatively.
- Also, when you start taking your puppy for runs, you have to increase these runs gradually. Start with short jogging sessions and try to adapt your pace to their ability to run.
- If you run too fast, your dog will get tired too soon, and if you run at too slow a speed, they will not enjoy it either.
How do you know if the harness is too tight?
One of the concerns most dog owners have is the tightness of the harness.
- If the harness is not tight enough, some dogs might be able to slide out of it. On the other hand, if the harness is too tight, your puppy will not feel comfortable and can even suffer certain wounds on its chest.
- If you want to know if the harness is tight enough on your dog, you can check it with your fingers. Try to slide two fingers between the harness and your dog’s body, and if you can do that, chances are the tightness is just right.
- Your dog shouldn’t be able to slide out of the harness even if they try and wiggle all over the place, which some dogs will do.
- The size of the harness is also essential. Each manufacturer has a size chart that you can check out before investing in a specific harness. Measure your dog’s body and check to see the size of harness it fits into according to each type of product.
- To get the correct harness size, you will have to measure the thickest points on your dog’s chest, neck and find out their weight.
How do I stop my dog from escaping the harness?
Your puppy can only escape their harness if it is the wrong size or doesn’t fit their body correctly.
- If none of these aspects is the case, they will not be able to escape their harness. So, if you can slide more than two fingers between the harness and your dog’s body as they wear it, chances are they can escape it.
- Choosing the correct harness size, fitting it correctly, and securing it properly, will save you from the hassle of your dog being able to slide out of it.
- Dog harnesses come with buckles that you will have to make sure they are safely closed.
- If the buckles are not lucked correctly, you will notice that your dog can escape the harness quickly.
What Makes a Great Dog Running Harness?
The main feature of a running harness is safety, followed closely by comfort. Your dog has to enjoy your jogging session as well. If the harness is not the perfect size for them, they might experience injuries and even negatively impact their development.
For your dog to be safe, the locking of the harness is vital. They shouldn’t be able to escape the harness even if they run fast and play or jump.
How many miles can a dog run with you?
The distance your dog can run with you depends greatly on their size, health condition, and training level.
- You will have to increase the running distance gradually as your puppy builds up their level of resistance.
- The general rule says that most healthy dogs can run about 20 to 40 miles each week. With proper training and the consistency, they need, some dogs will run more than this. You will have to train them just as you train yourself.
- A dog with a lot of energy is not necessarily a dog that can run a lot. They will need firm muscles and a strong body as well as a healthy respiratory system to keep up with your running schedule.
- A great tip would be to increase the distance you run with your dog by 10% each week until you get to the distance you want to run together-alternate running with alert walking to help your dog keep a healthy rhythm and not overwork themselves.
Can I run with my dog every day?
If you want to run with your dog every day, you can definitely do this as long as you follow a healthy speed and distance. All dogs need to have a schedule of exercise every day.
- You can make sure that they get their daily dose of exercise by running slightly with them.
- But pay attention to their resistance level and slow down or stop when you see them getting tired.
- You can increase the running time progressively to reach the level of exercise you want to have as you are running with your dog.
Is it safe to leave the harness on the dog all the time?
Harnesses are not meant to stay on your dog non-stop. If you leave the harness on your dog 24/7, they will feel a certain level of discomfort.
- It doesn’t matter how well the harness fits them or how comfortable it is. Plus, if you leave the harness on your dog all the time, they might develop adversity towards it.
- So, when you do need to put it on again, they will hate wearing it and do all that is in their power to take it off.
- A different issue appears when it comes to wet harnesses. If you leave a wet harness on your dog, it can cause a skin infection.
- Other issues that harnesses can cause if they stay on your dog too much are all kinds of skin irritations in various areas of their body, such as your dog’s chest or armpits.
Is a harness better than a collar?
It is hard to compare a harness with a collar as they offer different levels of restraint.
- Collars restrain your dog by controlling their neck, while harnesses help you control and restrain their whole body. Therefore, a harness will offer you more control than a collar.
- The level of comfort that your dog experiences is also different. They will feel better wearing a harness as they are running than wearing a collar because they can align with your running pace easier.
- Even for you, it will be easier to run with your dog if they wear a harness. You will control them better and not worry about their stability and direction as much as they are running.
Are front clip harnesses bad for dogs?
In theory, no harnesses are bad for dogs if your dog is comfortable and safe wearing such a product. However, the harnesses with a front clip closure tend to be less safe for dogs than those with a back closure. The reason for that is mainly the fact that the buckle or clip might rub on your dog’s chest and even give them wounds.
If you choose a front clip harness, the material of the buckle becomes essential to your dog’s comfort and safety. Choose a buckle made of a resistant material such as stainless steel and a harness with a padded chest area to increase comfort.
At what age can you put a harness on a puppy?
It is also important not to put your dog in a harness when they are too young and still in plain development. The optimum age to have your puppy wearing a harness is when they are at least two months old.
If you have your puppy wear a harness before two months, you might impede their development and affect their muscles. However, keep in mind that even if your dog can wear a harness safely as early as eight weeks, they will not be able to run with you safely until they get to six months old because they are not developed well enough.
What to look for?
If you never invested in a dog harness before, you might not be aware of the main aspects you will have to look for before you pull your credit card out. So, here is what you should keep in mind if you want to get the best harness for your pet.
A) The size
You want the harness you choose for your dog to come in the correct size. There are two more minor aspects to consider here. One is to choose the size of the harness according to the size chart the manufacturer offers you. Once you do that, make sure you also choose an adjustable harness.
B) The material
You will also want a harness that is made of a resistant material. The market offers harnesses made of neoprene, nylon, and other types of materials that you might encounter, such as plastic. You might want to invest in a harness that comes with some padding as well for sensitive areas like your dog’s chest.
C) The locking system
Most harnesses come with a buckle locking system and a D ring or an O ring to attach the leash to it. As long as the buckles are secure and made of stainless-steel metal, you shouldn’t have anything to worry about. So, check the locking system to make sure that your dog can’t get out of it.
D) Reflective threads
One aspect that might seem less important but essential is the harness’s reflective material. Most harnesses come with reflective threats so you can see your dog even in the dark. If you choose a waist leash type of harness, reflective threads can keep both you and your dog safe during night runs.
Best Dog Harness for Runners
You can use the following harnesses during runs and when you enjoy a slow and peaceful walk outdoors. All the following harnesses come with buckle closure, and you can rely on them as you are walking or running with your dog.
1. Chai’s Choice Best Double H Trail Runner No-Pull Dog Harness Review
The first harness you can use if you plan to run with your dog would be this Chai’s choice double H trail runner. This harness is also the best on our list as it has everything you might look for in such an item, and both you and your dog will love it.
- You can find this type of harness in five different colors: blue, purple, orange, green and black, and red. So, you can choose it in a shade that goes great with the rest of the accessories your dog has.
- There are also different sizes of this harness, so you choose the best harness for your dog. You can choose from an x-small size, a small size, medium, large, and even x-large size according to your dog’s measurements. There is no need to try and adjust the size anymore as you can get one that is the closest or even exactly what your pup needs.
- The neoprene padding on this harness makes it very comfortable for your puppy. It will not rub their skin or give them any side effects even if they wear it for several hours. This is very convenient for the owners as it is easy to clean and maintain.
- The reflective colors of this harness will make it easier to see your dog even in the dark. You will appreciate this aspect if you enjoy those evening walks or runs without worrying about losing your dog.
- You will appreciate the D ring made of stainless steel and the resistant buckles, and the overall ergonomic design.
- You will notice that this harness meets all the aspects you should look for in such a product for your dog’s benefits.
- Different sizes and colors available, which ideal for all dog owners.
- Stainless steel ring resistant to corrosion and easy to use when you need to put the harness on your dog fast.
- Secure buckles so your puppy will not be able to escape the harness.
- Reflective colors allow you to find your dog in the dark easily.
- Comfortable padding so your puppy will not feel too restrained or develop wounds from wearing this harness.
- It is not chew-proof, which means naughty dogs might use their teeth to get out of the harness successfully.
- Some dogs might experience skin irritations on their chest or belly if they have a thinner layer of fur or no fur or if they are used to pull a lot.
2. DOCO Athletica Runner Mesh Dog Harness Review
This DOCO runner harness will not disappoint you either. The no-pull technique makes it efficient and highly functional.
- Unlike the previous harness, this one is available in fewer sizes that you can choose from. Even if there is no medium size, you can still easily adjust this harness to match your dog’s size.
- As for colors, you can choose from seven different colors such as black, red, pink, blue, orange, gray, and lime. All colors are vibrant and attractive, so you will be able to find your dog even in reduced visibility.
- The nylon straps of this harness make it easy to adjust so it will fit your dog perfectly. There is also a size chart that will help you adjust the harness correctly.
- Step-in structure so this harness offers excellent comfort for your dog, especially for the chest area. You will be able to put this harness on your dog in a matter of seconds.
- You will not have to worry about resistance because this harness is made of durable materials that will last even in the roughest conditions.
- The mesh covering your dog’s chest is made of breathable material, so they will feel very comfortable wearing it.
- Also, you will be able to find your dog even in the dark, thanks to the reflective colors of this harness.
- This harness could be some of the best options as they have all you might be looking for.
- Breathable chest mesh so your dog will have the comfort they need during your walks.
- Step-in structure which allows you to put the harness on your dog fast.
- Reflective colors, so you find your puppy in the dark if needed.
- Different sizes and colors to choose from so you can accommodate your dog best.
- Safe and secure on your dog so they can’t escape the harness.
- Plastic buckles are not so resistant, which means they might break if your dog pulls.
- You will have no medium size to adjust the harness if you use it on a medium breed dog.
3. Pet Dreamland Hands-Free Leash Review
This leash can compete with many harnesses successfully and keep your dog safe during your runs together. It also has all the features you might be looking for in such a product, so you will not regret investing in it.
- This leash will offer your dog the freedom they need to run next to you safe and sound without suffering any injuries or facing any risks. You will enjoy your walks a lot more as well thanks to this aspect.
- You can choose between five different color combinations such as black and green, black and red, dark grey and pink, khaki and orange as well as grey and blue. So, if you want to match your dog’s leash with the rest of their apparel, you can do that with this product.
- This leash comes in medium and large sizes in terms of sizes, two versions for each size. Unlike the first and second products in our list, this is not the type of leach you want for small breeds, but if you have a larger breed dog, it is perfect to use it on your runs.
- The leash is a waist leash system, similar to a harness but less restraining which is why it will offer your dog more comfort and freedom. If your furry friend doesn’t like to wear a harness, this leash might be the best compromise for them.
- Neoprene padded handles allow you to control your dog without hurting your hands in the process.
- This leash is ideal not just for runs but also hiking activities since your dog will be very secure wearing it at all times.
- Adjustable harness-like leash so it can fit your dog best.
- Ideal for medium and large breeds, which means it is resistant enough for such breeds too.
- Neoprene padded handles that allow you to walk with your dog more comfortably.
- Easy to put on your dog so you will not waste time getting ready for your walk.
- Comfortable and secure for both you and your puppy.
- Not recommended for small breeds, so you will not be able to adjust it for all dogs.
- No anti-pull system which puts your dog at risk of pulling too much and damaging the leash or even hurting themselves.
4. Paw Lifestyles Retractable Hands-Free Dog Leash Review
This Paw Lifestyle leash will definitely increase comfort and safety as you run with your best, furry friend. It has the most important aspects you want to look for in such a leash, and it is very durable.
- This leash is a waist leash model, and it can support dogs as heavy as 150 pounds. Adjusting it will not be a problem even if it doesn’t come in different sizes like the first three products in this guide.
- You can choose between three colors: black and blue, black and green and black and magenta. This allows you to match the leash with the rest of your dog’s accessories.
- This leash comes with different pouches to store your smartphone, keys, or money, making it that much more comfortable for you during your runs with your puppy.
- Since it is a waist leash, your hands will be free to sip your water or talk on your phone, giving you a lot more comfortable during your walks or runs.
- The reflective thread makes you and your dog visible even during nighttime conditions, increasing your safety during jogging sessions.
- The nylon material of this harness is resistant and comfortable to wear for both you and your dog.
- A hands-free harness that allows you to use your hands for other activities during your walks.
- Different colors available to match the leash with the rest of your dog’s accessories.
- Pouches for storage to bring with your essential items such as keys or cellphones.
- Reflective threads to find your dog even in the evening or late-night walks.
- Easy to adjust so your puppy will be comfortable at all times.
- Doesn’t come in different sizes like other products.
- Not ideal for small breeds as you might not be able to adjust the size enough.
5. Walky Dog Plus Hands-Free Review
This leash from Walky dog will not disappoint you as you enjoy your daily runs with your dog. It has all the aspects you might be looking for, but it will attach to your bike, unlike the previous four products.
- This one-size leash will fit dogs of different breeds as it is easy to adjust. However, it will best fit medium to large breeds as it might be too big for smaller dogs. Even if it comes in a universal size, it is just as functional as the rest of the products in this guide.
- You can add this leash to your bike, and your dog will love to run next to you as you are riding. It is secure, and you can also adjust the length of the leash for more safety and comfort. This system is different from the previous products, but the leash is similar to the Paw Lifestore leash.
- The pull strength of the leash is 550 lbs, so it is highly resistant even if your dog loves to pull during runs. You will not have to worry about them escaping the leash at all.
- The gray color of this leash will match all preferences, and it will be resistant to dirt as well. So, it shouldn’t bother you much that it doesn’t come in different colors, such as the first product in our selection, for instance.
- It will only take you five minutes to install this leash on any type of bike, and you will be able to enjoy your ride with your dog right next to you.
- As soon as you start using this leash on your dog, you will identify the best aspects you might want to find in a secure leash which makes it deserve a place in our selection of products.
- Easy to use the leash as it takes you five minutes or less to install it.
- Great for bike rides with your dog without taking unnecessary risks for either of you.
- Easy to adjust the size even if it comes in a universal size version.
- Perfect for medium to large dogs, but you can use it on smaller dogs as well with proper adjustment.
- 550 lbs pull strength so your dog can’t escape it no matter how hard they pull.
- One-color available, unlike the previous products that come in a minimum of two shades.
- One size available which might not work for all dogs.
6. SlowTon No Pull Small Dog Harness and Leash Review
The last but not the least harness-like leash you can use to run with your puppy comes from SlowTon. This product is similar to the first two you will find in this guide, and it checks all the features you want in a dog harness. Unlike the Pet Dreamland leash, this one might not be ideal for large breeds, but ultimately, it depends on your dog and how well they adjust to it.
- This leash is available in XX-Small, X-Small, Small, Medium, and Large. It will fit any type of dog regardless of its size, and you can also adjust it as you need.
- If you wonder about colors, this leash comes in black, pink, green, and red, so you can choose the one you like the most.
- The buckle closure increases your dog’s safety as they are wearing this harness. They will not be able to escape easily.
- You will be able to use this leash for a long time as it is made of a durable nylon material. The neck area is padded, so your puppy will not get uncomfortable at all wearing this leash.
- Easy to put on your dog and comes with an O-Ring design to attach the leash. Your dog will not be able to pull as they are wearing this harness, thanks to the anti-pulling feature.
- Different colors to choose from according to what you prefer.
- All sizes available so it will fit your dog best.
- Anti-pull structure which increases your puppy’s safety.
- Durable nylon material so you can use this leash for a long time.
- Easy to put on your dog even when you are in a hurry.
- Not reflective material, which will make it difficult to find your puppy in the dark.
- It might not be as comfortable for larger breeds as they will find this harness too tight.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What should I do if my dog escapes the harness?
A: If your dog escapes your harness during your run, make sure you stop running and get your puppy to come back to you. You might want to look into investing in a new and more secure harness before you take your dog on a future run as well. It is important not to panic and focus on identifying why your dog could escape from the harness to begin with, so you can avoid it in the future.
Q: Are steel buckles safer than plastic ones?
A: Steel buckles tend to last longer over time, and they will not break easily at all, so you can rely on them more than on the plastic ones. Plus, they are even more comfortable thanks to their firm structure.
Q: Should I choose a harness or a waist leash?
A: If you have to choose between a harness and a waist leash, know that they bring different advantages and disadvantages. The waist leash lets you walk your dog or take them for runs while your hands remain free. However, many owners will find this leash uncomfortable as well.
The Chai's Choice harness has many advantages that your puppy will love as they wear it.
- We love the fact that this harness will not allow your dog to pull as they are wearing it, making it safer for them to wear. Compared to other similar harnesses, this one will resist best to running, and it will be the most stable on your pouch.
- Even if most harnesses in this guide are made with reflective threads or material, this one is very visible in the dark. Only the threads are reflective, so it will not bother you with having a solid color altogether during daylight, which some users might not like.
- In terms of durability, you will not have to worry either. The material and the buckles will last a long time as long as they are used correctly. Even if your dog pulls and turns in this harness, chances are that the product will resist without getting damaged at all either.
- We also love the design of this harness that comes in different colors and is easy to attach to your dog in just a few seconds. You will find that other similar products offer different color options, but this one comes in different reflective threads colors. You can choose the thread color you prefer so you see your dog best in less optimum light conditions.
Running with your dog can be a lot of fun, but you have to put their safety first. If you make sure that your dog is safe, you can enjoy plenty of jogging time together. Choose one of the harnesses in the list above, and you will not regret your investment.
Your puppy will be thankful as they will be able to run comfortably, and you will enjoy your jogging time more as well.
- “Running with Your Dog | VCA Animal Hospital”. Accessed May 09, 2021. Link.
- “Activity Levels to Consider When Adopting a Dog”. Accessed May 09, 2021. Link.