Best Hiking Packs For Dogs: Have you ever dreamed of going on a hike with your dog ? Believe it or not, your pup will most likely love going on the adventure just as much as you! They will adore being able to go out and explore new areas with you by their side.
The dog hiking pack that wins the honor of being the best is Chai's Choice Rover Scout High-Performance Tactical Training Military Backpack. It features removable compartments, reflective trim, sturdy, and a tracker for your pup.
Before you start planning to hike with your dog, you have got to purchase a hiking pack made just for your pup. You’ll have enough essential outdoor gear to be carrying on your own back, so let your pup carry their essentials!
Table of Contents
- What are hiking packs for dogs?
- Why do I need dog hiking packs?
- What to look for?
- Best Hiking Packs for Dogs
- OneTigris Dog Pack Hound Travel Camping Hiking Backpack Saddle Bag Rucksack
- Kurgo Dog Saddlebag Backpack for Medium & Large Pets
- Bum’s Pack Dog Backpack & Life Jacket for Medium & Large Dogs
- Excellent Elite Spanker Dog Pack
- Mountainsmith K-9 Dog Pack
- Kurgo Dog Carrier Backpack for Small Dogs & Cats
- Coppthinktu Dog Carrier Backpack
- Chai’s Choice Rover Scout High-Performance Tactical Training Military Backpack
- OneTigris Dog Backpack for Hiking
- Smartelf Dog Backpack Hiking Gear 2 in 1 Detachable Saddle Bag
- Key References
What are hiking packs for dogs?
Hiking packs are essentially backpacks for your dog. They come in multiple sizes and buckle into place on your pup’s back. These dog packs come in a variety of sizes and colors, and many of them also come with an assortment of features.
Why do I need dog hiking packs?
You need a dog hiking pack because you might not have the room to carry all of your pup’s essentials on top of your own! Your dog is going to need his food, toys, and outdoor survival kit during his time outside.
Plus, if you have a tiny dog, you may even want to purchase one to carry them so that they don’t get tired while walking.
What to look for?
There is a multitude of aspects to look for when purchasing a dog hiking backpack for your pup. Of course, there are also other types of gear you should bring along in addition to the canine pack, too! Below, find some of the most essential features to take into consideration when buying one!
A) Top handle
A top handle allows you to keep your dog close, which is especially great when you’re crossing over the water, or you’re on a very tight trail near a cliff.
With a top handle, you can grab right onto your dog and make sure he’s steady! This is especially helpful because you most likely won’t be hiking with your pup on a leash.
Having a hiking pack for your dog that’s adjustable helps you to find the ultimate comfort level for your dog. You don’t want to have one that’s too tight or too loose.
With an adjustable strap, you can easily change the tightness of the canine pack and ensure that your dog is comfortable while hiking.
Since you’re going to be hiking in forests and other outdoor areas, you will 100% want to make sure that the dog hiking pack for your dog is long-lasting.
You want one that can easily hold up outside and not fall apart during the hike.
While hiking, you will never really know what sort of weather you’ll run into. Sometimes the weather app says that there won’t be any rain, and you find that it’s raining at the summit when you get there anyway!
This is why you’ll want to have a weather-proof pack. No matter what climate the world throws at you and your dog, you can ensure that your hiking pack will be safe if it’s weatherproof.
Since your dog’s backpack will be filled with lots of essentials, you don’t want to weigh them down even more with a heavy pack.
A lightweight dog pack will also be a lot more breathable during the hike, which is extremely good if you’re hiking on a hot day.
F) Other design features
This might be sort of a picky thing, but if there’s a specific color you’d love for your pack to be in, then you can find it! So many hiking packs come in a wide array of color options.
You might also want to consider finding a canine pack that has unique loops and metal rings on it to hold gear. This way, if you had something small like a lunchbox that you wanted your dog to carry, he could.
Some hiking backpacks for dogs also have padded straps. This just allows even more comfort for your pup! With padded straps, your dog won’t feel as much pressure from all the way that he is carrying on his back.
These are all features to heavily consider when purchasing a hiking pack for your dog!
Best Hiking Packs for Dogs
Here are the top 10 best hiking packs made specifically for dogs on the market:
OneTigris Dog Pack Hound Travel Camping Hiking Backpack Saddle Bag Rucksack
The OneTigris Dog Pack is a canvas rucksack for your pup that packs a lot more storage than meets the eye!
- This OneTigris dog pack is super lightweight and comes in at only 21 ounces.
- The hiking pack features a metal ring so you can clip on even more essentials for your dog to carry during the hike.
- This dog saddle bags have extra storage space that can be found by unzipping zippers inside the pack’s pockets.
- The dog straps are elastic, so they won’t dig into your pup!
- This dog backpack features a top handle so you can protect your dog in dire situations.
- The OneTigris Dog Pack is perfect for German Shepherds, Welsh Collies, and Labrador Retrievers.
Kurgo Dog Saddlebag Backpack for Medium & Large Pets
The Kurgo Dog Saddleback Backpack is a breathable pack with lots of adjustable elements for your pup to wear on his next hike.
- This dog hiking harness pack has two metal harnesses so that you can put your dog on a leash at any time.
- The Kurgo Dog Saddlebag features reflective accents so that you can still spot your dog in the darkness!
- There is a control handle on the top of the pack so that you can help your dog when you need to.
- The bags on either side of the dog backpack feature adjustable straps so that you can loosen and tighten your dog’s load. There are 8 adjustment points across the bag in total.
- The chest pad on the saddlebag has a bottle opener to help open dog food or beverages while hiking.
- Recommended for Bloodhounds, Pitbulls, and Labrador Retrievers. .
Bum’s Pack Dog Backpack & Life Jacket for Medium & Large Dogs
The Bum’s Pack Dog Backpack doubles as a life jacket and comes with a free water bottle for your dog.
- Each side of the backpack is lined with styrofoam to provide extra comfort and double as a life jacket.
- This dog backpack doubles as a life jacket, but be careful of what you have inside the pack when utilizing this feature.
- There is a water bottle holder at the top of the backpack.
- The dog pack features a D-ring so you can quickly put your pup on a leash.
- Bum’s Pack Dog Backpack features a mid-section chest strap to cause your dog the least amount of irritation.
- This hiking pack is perfect for Australian Cattle Dogs (Heelers).
Excellent Elite Spanker Dog Pack
The Excellent Elite Spanker Dog Pack is a neutral-colored hiking pack with hidden compartments.
- This dog hiking pack features a handle on the top so you can help to guide your dog when needed.
- There are also a variety of elastic bands, so you can add more to the pack if you need to.
- The canine backpack is made from nylon fabric, which helps with your dog’s comfortability.
- This dog saddle bags feature the military MOLLE system, which allows you to pack even more items.
- There is a spot on the front for a patch.
- This pack is best suited for medium and large dogs like Bulldogs, Huskies, and German Shepherds.
Mountainsmith K-9 Dog Pack
The Mountainsmith K-9 Dog Pack is a well-ventilated hiking pack with reflective trim and extra padding.
- The straps on this dog backpack are padded so they won’t cut into your dog on a hike.
- There are mesh panels across the pack to allow for breathability!.
- This dog hiking harness pack features reflective fabric on every side in case you hike in the dark.
- Mountainsmith K-9 Dog Pack features a chest harness that has 4 adjustable straps to allow you to find the perfect fit.
- The dog pack has a metal ring so you can loop a leash onto it.
- This Mountainsmith K-9 dog pack is best for breeds similar to German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, and Border Collies.
Kurgo Dog Carrier Backpack for Small Dogs & Cats
With the Kurgo Dog Carrier Backpack, you can carry your tiny pup and let them join you on your outdoor adventure.
- This canine pack can be both a backpack and a dog carrier, depending on how you’d like to use it.
- The back of the hiking pack is padded to provide extra comfort.
- There’s zip-up mesh fabric so you can allow your pup to comfortably breathe.
- The bottom of the bag is waterproof.
- This bag has not one but two water bottle pouches so you can carry one bottle for yourself and one for your pup.
- Kurgo Dog Carrier Backpack is best for small dogs, including Chihuahuas, Dachshunds, and Boston Terriers.
Coppthinktu Dog Carrier Backpack
The Coppthinktu Dog Carrier Backpack is a front or back-facing pack that allows you to carry your pup while hiking.
- This backpack has lots of extra padding on the inside and the outside for both you and your dog.
- There are adjustable buckles so you can ensure that your dog is comfortable.
- Since this dog saddle bags have mesh fabric squares, it is breathable.
- The hiking pack even features a hole for your dog’s tail to stick out of!
- There’s a plastic D-ring on the side of the pack for you to hold additional items.
- This canine backpack is suited towards small dogs, including Pomeranians, Yorkshire Terriers, and Chihuahuas.
Chai’s Choice Rover Scout High-Performance Tactical Training Military Backpack
The Chai’s Choice Rover Scout Backpack is a durable military-style pack meant for medium to large dogs.
- This best dog carrier backpack for hiking comes with a QR code so you can easily track your pet if he’s wearing this while hiking and gets lost!
- The sides of the dog pack feature detachable compartments. .
- The fabric on this dog hiking pack is waterproof and durable.
- The straps feature reflective trim so that you can see your pup in the dark.
- The inside of the hiking pack has extra padding to provide comfort for your pup.
- This dog backpack is excellent for Newfoundlands and other medium to large-size dogs.
OneTigris Dog Backpack for Hiking
The OneTigris Dog Backpack for Hiking is a nylon pack with ample storage room for your pup.
- This dog pack features a durable handle for you to help guide your pup when needed.
- The front of the compartments features bungee straps so that you can have your pup hold cylindrical items like a water bottle.
- There’s a sturdy leash clip so you can attach your dog to a leash at any time.
- This best dog carrier backpack for hiking features thick straps to provide ultimate comfort and make it easier for your pup to carry items.
- The compartments on either side of this pack are a whopping 2″ by 7“ so there is a lot of room.
- The OneTigris Dog Backpack for Hiking is meant for large dogs, including Huskies, Pitbulls, and German Shepherds.
Smartelf Dog Backpack Hiking Gear 2 in 1 Detachable Saddle Bag
The Smartelf Dog Backpack is a pack that has a lot of unique features.
- The compartments on either side of this dog hiking harness pack are detachable, so you can take them off when your dog needs a break.
- Once you detach the compartments, you now have a harness to walk your dog with a leash attached to a D-ring.
- The top handle is durable and is reinforced with rubber for you to get a firm grip.
- There are mesh panels to allow for ultimate breathability.
- Multiple pieces of fabric that are reflective run across the bag for night visibility. .
- This pack is perfect for larger dogs, including Golden Retrievers, Siberian Huskies, and Australian Shepherds.
Our top pick for the best hiking packs for dogs is Chai's Choice Rover Scout High -Performance Tactical Training Military Backpack. It features removable compartments, reflective trim, sturdy, and a pup tracker. This dog backpack is also perfect for all medium to large size dogs, including Newfoundlands and Golden Retrievers.
When you’re going to purchase a dog hiking pack, consider choosing one from Chai’s Choice!
- “Tips for Hiking with a Dog | Eastern Mountain Sports”. Accessed July 22, 2020. Link.
- “Gear for Your Dog: Backpacks, Saddle Bags, Harnesses, and More”. Accessed July 22, 2020. Link.
- “Gear for Hiking with a Dog – American Hiking Society”. Accessed July 22, 2020. Link.